Sunday, October 23, 2011

Hello, Cervix!

October 23, 2011
36 weeks, 5 days

I have been feeling exhilarated the past few days.  Perhaps it is the gorgeous fall weather - the wind gently blowing off the first of the golden brown leaves.  Perhaps it is the good nights rest I have had over the past few days.  Perhaps, just perhaps, it is because Baby is on its way.....

I had an OB appointment on Thursday.  And when the doc asked, "Would you like me to check your cervix?", I have never opened my legs in a cold office building quite so quickly.  Curiosity definately won out.  So, for those of you who can't quite stomach reading about cervixes please feel free to skip down a paragraph or two.  As of Thursday, I am 2 cm dilated; cervix is 50% effaced; and Baby is in Station -1.  Check out the diagram below:

pelvic station


Unfortunately, you can't predict anything from these measurements.  What it does indicate is that I am at a good starting point!  The doc says it would be rare for me to have to have a c-section.  I have had no Braxton-Hicks contractions (pre-labor contractions) so I am pretty darned pleased that I have opened up a bit without that.  Looks like my body and Baby are working together quite nicely.  

I was thinking of starting a betting pool for the day Baby will come.  I was thinking a PayPal account might be exciting (hehe...). My bro thinks the winner should have naming rights.  Any takers?!  ;-) 

My ligaments and tendons are getting loosey goosey.  I stepped off my deck today (a mere foot and a half) and my left ankle gave out and I landed, rather gracefully, on my left knee.  I popped back up with no pain.  Later on my walk, I stepped on a rock and this time my right ankle gave way.  Thankfully no serious falls but with everything starting to loosen up and open for the coming of Baby I should be more cautious! 

Protein.  According to a nurse I spoke with, I should be shooting for 90 grams of protein a day.   90 grams.  Wow!  This is increasingly difficult as I find I am not as hungry as I once was.  The uterus taking up the space of my stomach?  Most likely.  However, my craving of the past few weeks has been oatmeal.  I love oatmeal.  And I figured out that a bowl of oatmeal made with milk and with added raisins and nuts has 20 g of protein!  I think this is a fabulous way to start my day.  We also get farm fresh eggs (the yolks are so yellow you wouldn't believe...and they taste.....like a little slice of heaven) which, according to incredibleegg.org, have 6 grams of protein each.  So with 2 eggs, a bowl of oatmeal and an Odwalla protein drink, I am at least at 50 grams a day.  I figure I am hitting at least 60 -70.  Whew.  With all the extra weight I am carrying (about 30 pounds), my legs should be seriously muscular by the end of this pregnancy.

Have I mentioned how much I love Amazon.com?  I order things and they come right to my front door.  No questions asked.  None of the "You live in the middle of nowhere" stuff.  It just comes.  Like my cloth diapers.  I am getting so excited to use them.  And I have a diaper sprayer to clean off the chunks.  Yes, chunks.  Or perhaps soft serve?  Or, even better, liquid poo?  If you know the Malcolms, then you know I couldn't talk about diapers without throwing in something about poo.

In remembrance of my 15-week belly.....Did I really think I had a bump back then?!  And I look so thin.....hehe....


And my belly as of 10 days ago (I promise an updated Full-Term belly in the next week!):



Fun Baby Fact: Baby is gaining about half an ounce per day.  Baby simulates breathing by inhaling and exhaling amniotic fluid.  And Baby has hiccups!  He hadn't had them until about a week ago.  Now pretty much every evening after dinner she hiccups away for a few minutes.  It makes me laugh.

Fun Pregnancy Fact:  I think I divulged plenty of this above :-)  3 days till FULL TERM.

No comments:

Post a Comment