Friday, March 9, 2012

One year ago today....

March 9, 2012
3 months 3 weeks

I woke up this morning, heard my boy cooing in the next room and couldn't help but smile.  A year ago today I took my very first positive pregnancy test.  In fact, I took two.  A year ago today I found out that there was life growing inside of me.  My child.  My first born.  A year ago today I remember it feeling surreal looking down at those 2 pink lines (well, one was really faint) and thinking, "Oh my God.  I have been waiting for this for years.  And here it is.  Just like that.  My life has changed forever."  A year ago today I said a prayer for a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.  I prayed that God would show me how to be a loving mother.  I prayed that this child would bring me a joy I couldn't begin to understand.  Today, I'd say my prayers came true. 

Peek-A-Boo!

Colter has become my little thumbsucker.  And I love it.  He wakes up in the morning or from a nap, cries for about 5 seconds (to let me know he is awake), puts his thumb in his mouth and patiently waits for Mama to come and get him.  It is splendid.  Crying has been chopped to a minimum and I firmly believe Colter is discovering the joys of lying in his crib.  I mean, goodness, who doesn't love to lie in bed in the morning?  And he has a mobile.  Pretty cool if you ask me.


Life doesn't get much better than this....

He is also my little spitter-upper.  It definately comes in waves but it seems to be more often than not.  If he wasn't growing and gaining weight I would be concerned.  But he is, so I simply carry a burp cloth with me no matter what distance I am traveling.  He seems so happy about the whole thing too which just cracks me up.  He spits up and laughs.  I don't think I've ever had regurg or vomited and then smiled.  But that's just me.

His favorite time of day?  Bath time.  He would soak in that bathtub all day long if I let him.  It is the cutest.  A waterboy just like his Papa.  I think he just likes to be naked.  'Cause anytime I undress that boy he just starts wiggling and laughing and having the grandest time.  Also like his Papa ;o)


Soaking with Papa

We recently purchased a Bumbo seat for the little man.  He can now view the world from an upright position - it does seem to cause more spit-up but, as I mentioned earlier, he doesn't seem to mind.  When I am in the kitchen, he loves to be up on the counter with me and watch me work my magic.  We have intense conversations, sing and dance.  I've determined cooking is just that much more special with someone to share it with!

Chilling with big bro Owen...and spitting up ;-)

In these few months that Colter has blessed our lives, I have learned many things.  I know for sure that change is the only constant.  One week it's this and the next it's that.  I have learned to be more flexible.  We work together as a team to come up with the perfect schedule for both of us.  I'd say it took me 3 months to come to this conclusion.   And now that I have we have had some of the greatest days together yet.  We have laughed more this past week than I have laughed in a long time.  Motherhood truly is a gift from God.

Happy to be alive!
To sum it up? A year ago today I had no idea about where I would be today.  Isn't that wonderful?!  The surprises life brings.  Keeps us on our toes.

Quiet time with Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment