Friday, July 13, 2012

A Shout Out

Kisses from Coso
July 13, 2012
7 months, 3 weeks

I could blame the fact that I have been a horrible blog writer on lack of internet access for the past month.  Or I could be honest and simply say, I’ve been busy.  Shocking, I know!

I must think about what I would write in a blog at least once a day.  This blog has become a means of journaling my journey as a mother and I someday look forward to reading back through all of these and, hopefully, reflecting on how far I’ve come.  There are weeks when I feel like the Super Mom that a few of my friends call me… and then there are weeks.

I had one of those weeks just recently.  We got back from a week with my family in New Mexico celebrating my cousin Sarah’s wedding followed by a few days in Santa Fe.  For the record, it was a grand trip (see pictures below).  But I wouldn’t call it relaxing.  In fact, that is a word I very seldom use anymore.  I have learned to cherish those few moments a day when I sit down, put my feet up and close my eyes.  They are truly splendid.
June 26 Family Hike in Sedona

Anyways… we got back and you know the phrase well:  I felt like I needed a vacation from my vacation.  1200 miles in 6 days with a 7 month old.  Colter did fabulous, CJ did fabulous, Owen did fabulous.  But no matter how fabulous it was, I was still tired.  Naturally, the week back from vacation progressed quickly and before I knew it three days had passed and I had yet to have my “Heather Time”.  With this realization, I spiraled down and down and down into “I Need Heather Time Now” mode.  With a hard-working husband who puts in crazy amounts of overtime in the summer, two dogs (we are dog sitting my sister-in-law’s dog, Coso, for a month) and a baby, I was dreaming.  I kept right on smiling and playing and cleaning and cooking and washing…

And then a saving grace: my next door neighbor.  As if sensing my growing panic at not having any time alone, she knocked on my door and offered to take Colter for an afternoon.  I think I almost cried.  She said, “Go and do something fun!”  My idea of fun?  Putting the dogs outside, taking a long shower and lying in bed and reading.  But it was just what I needed.

My realization of the month?  Being a mom means giving 100% 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  Whether you care to or not.  Why?  Because I grew that little adorable munchkin for 9 months.  And because it’s a sacrifice I want to do. Because 99.9% of the time it’s FUN.  And because 0.1% of the time I have the right to complain (just a wee little bit!).  Whatever percent you might find yourself in today - here’s a shout out to Moms!
Sweet Nothings from Mama
On to bigger and brighter things: Colter!  He is just as happy as ever.  This morning I snuck in on him in his crib.  It was the cutest sight:  stuffed animals all around him and his blankee over his head.  I swear he was just pretending to be asleep because I made the slightest sound and he whipped his blanket off from his head, perked up and gave me the biggest grin (with a “gaaa”) you ever did see.  Precious. 

He loves crowds.  He blends right in and basks in the attention.  Passed from one set of hands to another, I have a hard time keeping my eyes on the dear boy.  He does do me the honor of giving me a huge smile if he happens to see me.  Melts my heart every time.  I am the proudest Mama ever.  100% of the time.
One good lookin' family!

Hangin' with Papa in Silver City, NM

Watching the wedding with Papa

Serious concentration....

Lookin' good

Bed snuggles in Santa Fe

Santa Fe: Playing with Great Grandma

A Rainbow over the backyard

LOVE my boys!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment