May 11, 2013
T-minus 8 days until 18 months....
 |
| Campsite...on the rim...not too shabby. |
It's been one of those weeks where we have taken full advantage of living at the Grand Canyon. I admit that sometimes a week or two (or three...) may go by and I haven't seen the rim. I know it is a mere 20 minute walk or a 3 minute drive away, but that's just the way it goes. Life gets busy. I know you understand that.
This past week we have lived and breathed the Canyon. It felt great to recharge on the energy of the Canyon. It never ceases to amaze me. You can look in the same direction for hours and still be entranced. I feel so fortunate that I live at one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
Spring at the Canyon is one of my favorite seasons (besides summer, fall and winter...haha!). Warmer temperatures lend a hand to new growth - both plants, flowers and the birth of many new creatures. We still get the occasional frost and we've been so lucky as to get a few hail storms with thunder and lightning early this year.
 |
| Colter stopping to smell the flowers. |
 |
| "The Grey Ghost" as the storm approaches. |
This is my first Spring with a toddler. And it has been awesome! Long walks around the neighborhood and hours spent in the out-of-doors digging and discovering. Colter can't seem to get enough of it. And either can I. Toddlerhood is a marvelous adventure - discovering and rediscovering time and again. It seems like the perfect time of year to be a toddler. Every day something new creeping around or popping up. The discovery? It's contagious.
 |
| Our toddler enjoying the view from 1.5 miles down on the South Kaibab Trail. |
On Cinco de Mayo, we ventured on a 14-mile loop through the Canyon with CJ while he was on patrol. Tough job, I know. Your wife and child come with you as you work. And hike. And get paid for it. It was a new loop for me: South Kaibab to the Tonto and back up the Bright Angel from Indian Gardens. As we journey on the trails, I always have a sense of pride as people comment on the toddler on my back and the ranger at my side. This is The Life.
 |
| Don't blow away! |
 |
| Taking my first steps on the Tonto Trail. |
 |
| Diaper change 7 miles in... |
 |
| Mama loves on a break. |
 |
| Mules rock. |
 |
| Ranger and kid. |
A few days later, CJ did an overnight canyoneering route around river mile 37 (again, working...). Colter, Owen and I tagged along and set up camp on the rim. My first solo camping trip with Colter. A perfect prelude to Mother's Day: My boys behaved themselves and the trip was remarkably un-eventful. No complaints here.
 |
| Flowers! |
 |
| My baby looks like a little boy in this shot....I love it: The Road Less Traveled. |
 |
| A long way down... |
 |
| Our regal pup. |
 |
| Sunset at camp. |
 |
| I just can't get enough of that adorable face. |
I'm the wife of a Ranger. I hike miles and miles to spend quality time with my husband. I live at National Parks around the country. I host huge BBQs at my house for my husband's work (our most recent one hit 75 people). I suffer through painfully slow internet. I have to drive an hour and half to go to a decent grocery store. I do the majority of my shopping on Amazon. Every day I wake in the glory of one of the Seven Wonders of the World. I wouldn't change a thing - I love the Ranger Life.
 |
| Me and my boys. Doesn't get much better than this. |
Wonderful pictures! You will cherish these memories for a life time.... Hang in there!
ReplyDelete