Thursday, July 4, 2013

Baker Extraordinaire

July 4, 2013
Happy 4th!
19 months, 3 weeks plus or minus
Boys.  And their toys.


Some days I like to think I am a Baker Extraordinaire (BE).  I like to think I have what it takes to be one of those great bloggers conjuring up amazing pastries and sharing their masterpieces with the world.  Today is one of those days.

Most days?  I am quite content with my place in life.  Mother, wife, nurse, friend, gardener, baker, chef....ya know, what every mother is:  a Jack (or Jill) of All Trades.

But today I am feeling a bit spunky.  It's Independence Day and I want to be someone extraordinary.  I asked CJ if he wanted chocolate or vanilla cupcakes.  He said he wanted swirl.  Bring it.

Because I am not typically a BE, I do not carry things in my house such a piping bags, buttermilk and self rising flour.  But because I am a Jill of All Trades, I can make these things.  And that makes me feel rather sassy. 

Sassy.

Piping bags?  Ziplocs all the way.  However, the thick freezer bags work way better than your average sandwich bag.  As I was piping my chocolate dough, the sandwich bag ripped and I ended up piping out of 2 different locations.  Nothing I can't handle.

Buttermilk?  Google is my lifesaver.  Colter is asleep and I can't run to the market.  My two "go-to" neighbors have run dry and I must find a solution.  Who knew a tablespoon of lemon juice in a cup of milk can do the trick?  I hear yogurt can too but I haven't been to the store in awhile.

Self rising flour? Baking powder and salt. With flour.  I mean, really people, why even bother buying self rising flour?  Geez.



Colter exploring powdered sugar....


Did I mention it is 94 degrees out and I don't have air conditioner?  Perfect day to bake.  When you're a BE you can overcome these temperatures.  

I have also determined the main reason why I could never become a full-time Baker Extraordinaire/ Blogger.  I am the not-so-proud owner of a $20 Target special hand mixer.  With only one functioning beater.  Those really cool Kitchenaid Mixers?  I didn't get one off my registry when I got married.  I am still a little sad about it.  Never the less, I power through with one beater and dream of the day when I don't have to use my hands to get down and dirty.

The end product?  Amazingly patriotic.  Though I'm not trying to win any icing contests.  I'm just a Jill of All Trades after all.

Beater (singular) on the countertop.

Getting serious.

Who starts whining after a nap because they are given a beater? 
My son.  See Tantrum Land blog, please. 

And after some time cookin' in the oven....

Marbled goodness.

Happy birthday, America!
"Why are you making me sit here and take pictures when all I want to do is eat frosting?" 
His "sign" for more...and a face that says it all.  Love this kid.

 
Red, white and blue FOREVER.



No comments:

Post a Comment