Thursday, September 15, 2011

Rainbows

September 15, 2011
31 weeks, 1 day

I love fall.  I love the changing weather: how one day it can be deceivingly warm, as though summer is still upon us, and the next turn cool, the day filled with a chilly breeze and cloudy skies.  I love layering: breaking out my down slippers, a beanie and a down parka (because it is never too early for down!).  And I love that this year it means putting on my hubby's because my belly is just too darn big to squeeze into my coat.  I love hot cocoa as the rains pour and the skies crack down thunder and lightening.  I love baking: everything pumpkin and good so that my kitchen warms and the smells as you walk in fill your heart with love.  I love the anticipation of snow.  I love hearing the elk bugling.

I love that, for us, fall means new life.

The other evening after an incredible hail storm, I was mesmerized  by the most beautiful double rainbow shining through the heavens across the street from my house. A friend at work caught it over EMS and the clinic:


It reminded me of God's promise in Genesis 9:12-13:, "And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come.  I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth."

I feel very pregnant.  My sciatica hurts constantly, I can't sneeze or cough without holding my crotch, I waddle, I feel bloated and uncomfortable, I have cankles, I can barely put shoes on, when I do put my shoes I can't breath, I cry and laugh within seconds of each other.....So you would think, with a list like that, life would be challenging.   To be perfectly honest, I have never been so happy.  Baby jabs me in my ribs and I smile.  I take at least 20% longer on my walks with Owen in the morning:  and I thank God that I have 20% longer to be out in the glorious weather.  I race to the bathroom (since I can hold all of maybe 50 ml max) and I laugh thinking about Baby resting his head on my ever shrinking bladder.  I get up, cringe at my butt cheeks for the stabbing pain they are causing me and then gather a sense of peace knowing that not only is this temporary, but it means that Baby grows bigger daily. 

Perhaps this is a classic case of the "glass half full".  I do not know.  But, I do know that as the time draws nearer I grow more excited to meet this little pumpkin ('tis fall after all!) growing so adamantly inside of me.  As I told the little pumpkin on our walk this morning, "You just take your time.  You come out when you're ready."

I've filled my day with cooking and baking.  Chili and cornbread; pumpkin cranberry bread (in honor of my Little Pumpkin); banana chocolate chip bread.  Owey's little nose has been exploring the kitchen for scraps all morning.  What a fabulous day!

Fun Baby Fact: Baby weighs in at over 3 lbs and 18 inches long.  She is now processing information, tracking light, and perceiving signals from all five senses.

Fun Pregnancy Fact:  I had a week of what I like to call "The Lull".  A bit down, super emotional and overwhelmed with the prospect of being a Mama.  With the aid of my beloved, prayer and a few nibbles of chocolate, I feel revived and ready to conquer motherhood (ok, that may be a bit extreme....but I feel great!).  On to every 2 week OB checks-- my last one a week ago: my fundal height is at 32 cm (perfect!) and Baby's heart beat was fluctuating between 140 and 152 - a healthy sign as a variable heartbeat indicates good neurological growth.

Coming soon: An Updated Belly Photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment