Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Puffer

April 4, 2012
4 months and some change

Last night, during our nightly "cuddle time", CJ presented the idea of having a bbq for the helicopter training class he is in this week:

CJ:  I was thinking of having a few people over for a bbq tomorrow.

Me: *Trying with every ounce of my being not to say no* Oh, that sounds like fun.  How many people?

CJ:  Probably around 20.  But we'll keep it really simple.  It'll be fun. (Always positive!)

Me: *Secretly squealing inside* Oh, that sounds like fun.  20 people, eh?

For the record, I don't do simple.  Not in my vocabulary.  Especially with a 4 month old.

So, this morning as I was tidying up the house in between batches of chocolate chip cookies, I managed a minute to pick up my Parents magazine.  I flipped through it and this month, well actually it is last month's, it highlights the best parenting blogs.  One of them, Ain't No Mom Jeans, was voted best fashion blog.  I briefly read the excerpt in the magazine and couldn't help but laugh.  The title? "Wear a Puffer Vest (and Hide a Poochy Stomach!!)".  I had to laugh because this is EXACTLY what I have been doing all winter.  CJ bought me this fabulous patagucci turquoise down vest for Christmas and I have been living in it.  As the blog states, "If you can find a puffer that you can juuuuuust barely zip up-that's the perfect fit for pooch training."  Love it!

The Puffer:  Every Mom's Savior
But I have a new dilemma.  Winter is no longer here.  The days are getting warmer.  And I still have a pooch.  Take for instance this coming weekend - Easter.  We are adventuring to Ridgecrest to be with the family.  It should be wonderful and warm, around 80.  As much as I love my Puffer, I think I would look a bit odd.  Even if the color is very Easter-esque.

Accordingly, this morning I decided to try on dresses.  I laid Colter on the bed and proceeded to give him his very first fashion show.  Time and time again I strutted my stuff for him and time and time again he giggled in hysterics.  I am not sure what that means for me and my pooch.  They main problem remains to be not my pooch (incredibly enough!) but my boobs.  Dresses that looked cute on me just over a year ago now manage to make me look like a dominatrix.  Certainly not appropriate for Easter with the fam.  And probably not appropriate even for a breastfed 4 month olds eyes. 

The Puffer is looking better and better....

I'm having a good day so far.  I may give my hubby crap about throwing a party last minute but, honestly, it's fun.  Living in the middle of nowhere one can easily slip into Never Never Land.  Not today.  Today we are having firefighters from San Bernardino in our home.  Is it sad that it makes me feel more worldly?!

Ultimately?  You have CJ to thank for planning a simple party for a mere 20 people so that his wife found the magazine and was inspired to write today's blog.

Reference: aintnomomjeans.com

No comments:

Post a Comment