Friday, April 27, 2012

A Good Day

April 26, 2012
5 months & a week or so

I received my very first Mother's Day card in the mail today - along with a wonderful hand knit sweater for my boy.  Isn't amazing how timing works sometimes?  I was having one of those not-so-great Mom days.  Colter, a gem all morning long, was down for a nap but I was just dragging along attempting to cram way too much into my day.   This is standard.  Just ask CJ. 

The card was perfect.  It gave me that much needed STOP in my day to remember that I really am making a difference.  That I am accomplishing a great deal.   I even had a few tears come to my eyes.  It felt good.  The card:

On your first mother's day
Celebrate all the dreams taking shape...
All the beautiful to-be's and fun to-do's...
All the moments and imaginings big, small and extraordinary...
Celebrate all the joys in your heart,
and have a very happy mother's day.

It reminded me of how incredibly blessed and thankful I am that I get 6 days a week with my boy.  And the 7th he spends with his Papa.  I am there when he first wakes up, I am there to put him to bed and I am there for every in between (yes, even those wonderful, endless minutes of wailing upon occasion!).

Colter's new favorite past time:  anything involving his feet.  He can quite impressively chew on his toes (although only during diaper changes when the voluminous cloth diapers come off).  He grabs his feet, brings them in and giggles as he sucks and gnaws on his toes.  I wish I knew was he was thinking.  I can only imagine how amusing this must be - especially for a baby who most likely forgets that he has toes to chew on.  :-)

Toes: A convenient delicacy

The boy also loves to take off his socks.  Sometimes I really believe he is doing it just to annoy his Mama.  He'll pull and pull and then Whoop!  sock is off and straight to his mouth (can you tell someone is in an oral stage?!).  Then he'll look at me with this sly little grin almost as if saying, "What are you gonna do about that, Mom?!"  Naturally it always leads to an attack from The Tickle Monster which sends him in a fit of giggles.  These are the day to day challenges I must deal with.  Hehe ;-)

He can successfully roll from belly to back.  Both a good and a bad thing.  He can now quickly sneak out of the dreaded "Tummy Time".  This only means I have to get more creative with barriers to keep him from his beloved back - where he can then kick, screech, suck on toes, pull off socks and roll from side to side as his leisure. 

Hangin' by the Owens River, Owens Valley, CA

Colter dove into the world of food about a week ago.  The going is slow thus far.  Rice cereal and carrots (pureed, naturally) are the extent of his diet outside of breast milk.  Some nights he is hungrier than others and I am valiantly trying to find the right combo and time frame to feed him so that he will sleep through the night.  He has an 8 hour stretch but still requires a 4am feed to make it till morning.  He is intrigued with the new tastes, for the most part, and thinks it is quite fun to eat.  Who am I kidding?  Colter thinks everything is fun.  He is my happy go-lucky boy.  I love it.  It's contagious.

We took a road trip to Ridgecrest for Easter with CJ's dad and sisters.  Colter was the center of attention.  He sat in his Bumbo seat in the middle of the kitchen and loved watching everyone cook - especially since he had almost constant attention.  He best get used to the wonderful, loud nature of the Malcolm get-togethers.  I'd say he is right on track.

Watching his first Sunday morning cartoons...in his PJs!

We escaped up to Mammoth for a night and stopped by the Owens River on our way back to Ridgecrest.  It was a glorious spring afternoon:  Owen swam in his namesake, Colter giggled in the 30 mph winds, CJ skinny dipped and I.....well, I sat and counted my blessings.  But there were too many so I stopped, swooped up my boy and laughed with him as the warm wind brushed across my face.  It was a good day to be a mom.

A Good Day

No comments:

Post a Comment