Thursday, February 7, 2013

Ready. . .set. . .go!

January 8, 2013
A week until 14 months

We have a walker! 

My little man took his first steps on New Years Day.  With Grandma and Grandpa.  In Durango.  It was perfect. I was so hoping he would wait until he saw his grandparents:  In fact, I even told him a few nights before that if he was saving the first steps for some big event that I knew just the perfect time. 

Since day 1 that boy has had good timing. Waited for Grandma's Thanksgiving Break before making his big appearance.  Crawled for the first time with Grandma.  Took his first steps with Grandma.  Someone knows who to brownnose ;-)

I've seen Colter take about 10-12 steps on his own before tumbling to the ground (gracefully as all toddlers do).  But his most favorite thing is grabbing hold of my pointer finger and walking alongside his Mama.  I don't know what it is but when his little hand wraps around my finger I just about die and go to heaven.  And then he looks up at me with those big blue eyes and smiles.  Sigh.

Today I needed to go next door for some sesame seeds (which she didn't have either....the downfall of living at one of the Seven Wonders of the World:  no sesame seeds).  I decided to let Colter walk there.  Ten minutes and about 30 rocks/snow piles/sticks later we got there.  It was a beautiful, warm winter afternoon and I didn't mind one bit.  Colter thoroughly enjoyed himself.  One of those kind of walks that I will remember forever.


What I've learned from Week One with a walker:
1. Slow down. Slow WAY down. Relish the moments my 13 month old wants to hold my finger and walk down the driveway. Priceless.

2. Embrace the moment when things just "pop" up. Just because I'm headed somewhere doesn't mean I can't enjoy a distraction. Stop and smell the snow.




We also enjoyed a few days down in Sedona.  Ventured out along Wet Beaver about 4 miles in to a place called The Crack.  I cringe thinking who came up with these names.  Either way, a beautiful place to spend a lovely January day.  It was -15 up at the Canyon but down in Sedona it was in the 40s. 


Exploring The Crack with Papa
 
Our wonder dog, Owen, who will go swimming in 40 degree water when it's 40 degrees outside.  Crazy cat.
 
A quiet moment

No comments:

Post a Comment