Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Wave

May 1, 2011
11 weeks, 3 days

I had this realization a few days ago as I was driving home from Flagstaff, hubby next to me and puppy behind me, both asleep:  I am pregnant. 

I know, I know.   This may not come as a shock to any of you out there.  But let me tell you, this was life changing for me!

I think it all started Thursday morning as I was preparing for my ultrasound at the OB’s office.  CJ standing to my left, U/S machine to my right and OB smack dab in the middle.  I was looking at the screen and there was this thing on it – apparently a baby.  Then I saw it:  little fingers and little toes.  And then the baby did the most fabulous thing. . .it waved.  I am totally serious.  The arm went right up in front of its face like he (or she) was yelling, “Hey, Mom!  I’m down here!!”  It brought a few tears to my eyes.  I guess it still hadn’t hit me that this little thing, this amazingly fast growing human being, was inside of me.

If you look closely, the head is to the left and you can see an arm underneath saying "Hello!"


Later that afternoon, we had a “consultation” with a nurse midwife.  We were discussing prenatal goodies and the whole labor process.  Describing the glory that is the miracle of life.  And the tears came again.  Yet, as I sat there soaking it all in, it all seemed to surreal.

But somehow driving up the 180 from Flagstaff toward home, my beautiful little family fast asleep, my hand found its way to my belly and a wave of understanding surged through me.  And there I was, somewhere between Flag and home, and completely and utterly in love with this new life inside of me.  I am growing a baby.  How blessed am I?  Thank you, God.

Fun Baby Fact: The baby weighs a 1/2 an ounce and is about the size of a large plum.  I suppose we should name it "Plumkins"?

Fun Pregnancy Fact: Honey Nut Cheerios are the jams.  I could seriously eat them all day long.  But I don't.  The smell of meat?  Disgusting!

1 comment:

  1. First of all, HAPPY MOMMY'S DAY!! :) It's incredible to hear how transforming that moment was for you- thank you for sharing.
    YAY! You are a mommy!! Enjoy each moment, Heath. Sending you and your growing family lots of love today.

    ReplyDelete