Saturday, November 5, 2011

Happiness is....


November 4, 2006: 
Our First Kiss as Mr. & Mrs. Malcolm

November 5, 2011
38 weeks, 3 days

Last night CJ and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary.  5 years!  Brilliant...

We stepped outside before going to bed and held each other under the warmth of a Mexican blanket as the snow fell down around us.  Baby kicked CJ in the stomach.  Owen frolicked through the yard like a kid in a candy store.  It was perfect.

This morning I woke up early because I knew that Owen would be super excited to go outside and play.  OK, really now, who am I kidding?  I was super excited to go outside and play.  We went on a nice, long slow stroll (with Owen sprinting 1/4 mile away, 1/4 mile back the entire way).  The wind whistled through the freshly blanketed pine trees and the sun broke through the clouds at all the right moments.  Not a soul had marked tracks yet.  It was our winter wonderland for the morning.

I was reflecting on life (BIG topic to reflect on...) and realized how truly happy I was.  I mean, really, it doesn't get much better than this: an awesome husband, Baby on the way, an obedient dog (98% of the time....let's be honest), a great house, a good job....oh, and did I mention that I live at one of the seven natural wonders of the world?!  That's gotta count for something.

A few things I've learned during my first pregnancy:

1.  When there's a bathroom, stop and use it.

2.  There's nothing wrong with walking slowly.  Waddling is normal.

3.  Elastic is your friend.

4.  Recruit help.  Why bother bending over when there are plenty of folks who can do it and still breathe?

5.  No matter how much unsolicited advice you receive, always smile and say "Thank you!"

6. Cankles don't mean you're 75 and going into heart failure.

7.  Yes, your belly can be a tray table.

8.  Snore away.  Breathe heavy.

9.  No matter how much weight you gain or discomfort you are in, you can always find happiness.


This morning! Please forgive the sexy attire...
and the puffy morning manatee eyes.

Fun Baby Fact:  Baby is around 7 pounds this week and 20 inches long.  All systems are pretty much ready for action outside of the womb.  What triggers Baby to decide to join my winter wonderland?  It's tricky to know for sure- but most likely a combo of things.  It begins with the fetus whose "brain sets off a relay of chemical messages that kick off a chain reaction of hormones in the mother.   These hormonal changes in turn pave the way for the work of prostaglandins and oxytocin, substances that trigger contractions when all labor systems are "go"." 

Fun Pregnancy Fact:  I feel like a ticking time bomb.  When anyone hears when I am due, they automatically go into, "Any minute now!"  mode.  And, yes, it could be any minute.  One of those beautiful things in life that I have absolutely no control over.  Frankly, I am glad I don't have to be the one to make the call of when labor begins. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment