November 19, 2011
40 weeks, 2 days
2:25 am
Colter Ramsey Malcolm is born!
A recap from CJ:
Hey folks... sorry for the mass email. I think this is the first one I've ever done.
Heather delivered a beautiful boy early this morning, Colter Ramsey Malcolm, named after Jim Bridger's partner, John Colter, first explorer of Yellowstone National Park and guide to Lewis and Clark. "Ramsey" is Heather's pops' name, passed on to his first grandchild!
Heather's water broke last night (9ish) while baking a coffee cake at our home in the Grand Canyon. We lolly-gagged around for an hour or two thinking we had a bit of time and debating whether we wanted to eat coffee cake enroute to Flagstaff. We decided against it. By the time we reached town, Heather was rapidly progressing. We stopped at Ken Phillips' house -my boss- for a quick rest and nearly delivered the baby in the drive way. The paper boy was kind enough to stop and offer assistance as Heather lay in the drive way mid contraction w/ a hospitable twenty degree wind chill factor greating us like an old friend.
We made it to the hospital shortly thereafter. Heather delivered at 0225, within 45' of entering the L&D suites. Our obgyn was a wonderful woman and coached me through the delivery...I was blessed to catch the baby -who by the way was swimming like a fish exiting his 9month prison. Heather was insanely brave and was able to deliver naturally. It was fun to watch the nurses scrambling a last minute sortie to start the delivery... they actually had to tell Heather not to push -I don't think she was hearing a whole lot in those moments.
Heather had a record breaking 5 hour labor -pretty dang quick for a couple of rookies!
I'm currently downstairs drinking espresso as Heather sleeps upstairs w/ our healthy 7lb 6oz kiddo. I love you all and wanted to share the excellent news as soon as I could!
C.J.


No comments:
Post a Comment