Saturday, May 12, 2012

If I ruled the world...

May 12, 2012
5 months, 3 weeks
I'm a nurse.  I've seen some amazing poos in my day.  In fact, you could call me a professional butt cleaner.  You may laugh or cringe, perhaps, but I am proud of this skill.  Plus, it has proved quite useful in cleaning up little baby poos - which for the record are NOTHING compared to what I have seen.  Until this morning, that is.

It was Diaper Change-Thirty at the Malcolm household.  Colter has recently discovered the joys of avocado and downed half an avo at yesterday's evening feeding.  Down on the changing mat he went and I whipped open the velcro hooks of his turquoise cloth diaper.  The next few moments were a blur.  I believe it went something like this: Poo covered and exploded out from all regions of the diaper.  Colter's curious little hands grabbed the dirty diaper and somehow managed to fling it to the right.  In the meantime, the pulling motion knocked the poo off of the diaper and onto his legs and socks.  By the grace of God, I managed to catch it before it did any serious damage to surrounding furniture.  Of course then Colter started happily screeching, kicking his legs frantically and spastically throwing his arms around.  In usual circumstances, this is incredibly cute.  But when my child has poo on his butt, legs, socks and hands I am not so easily distracted.

With an ordinary poo, I pride myself in using just one wipe - 2 in the most severe instances.  I used 4 wipes with this poo.  I'd hate to see what a 5-wipe poo looks like.  Although I am sure I will someday. Thank goodness for my BumGenius diaper sprayer.

Good morning, World!

Along the lines of changing, I have discovered that snaps can be just plain annoying.  Yes, they are functional.  You just try snapping 12 snaps with the wiggly, giggly, piggly Colter bean.  If I ruled the world?  Outfits would have a limit of 6 snaps.  If you can't do it in six, don't do it at all. 

I have been working Mondays.  It is a nice break from being a mom.  I get to talk with adults and challenge my mind (playing patty cake just doesn't quite do it all the time).  And CJ enjoys a "Papa-Colter Day".  I love hearing about their adventures at the end of the day.  Anything goes on Mondays.  I think it is helping to make our baby boy well-rounded.  Adventurous.  Flexible.  Talkative hehe. 

I remember one day I came home and my boys (CJ, Colter and Owen) were all hanging out in the garage.  Colter was strapped to Cjs chest in the Bjorn.  Something just didn't look quite right:  Colter's pants were on backwards.  I smiled and kissed my dear sweet husband.  He said, "I know they are.  He doesn't care."  In fact, I bet Colter enjoyed it.  How often in your life can you go around with your pants on backwards?  I can imagine him in a few years, "But, Mooooom, Dad lets me put my pants on backwards!"  Haha :-)


Hands down, I had one of the best days of my life on Wednesday.  We built our very first garden from the ground up.  Everything about the whole day was perfect - even our brief argument when trying to square the sides (for the record, I was right....but who's keeping tally anyway!?).  It was Family Garden Day.  We made a 5x7 planter box that is thoroughly protected from any creatures - big or small - that might want to enjoy our goods.  We planted flowers, lettuce, carrots, zucchini, cilantro.....Colter loved the pansies.  Owen just wanted to play and kept dropping his ball into our garden.  My diapers hung drying in the sun and Tom Petty played in the background.  Sigh.








If I ruled the world, every day would be Family Garden Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment