Sunday, August 28, 2011

Into the third trimester....

August 27, 2011
28 weeks, 3 days

I am in a bit of shock that the third, and final, trimester has crept up so suddenly.  It feels like just yesterday I was secretly smiling to myself as I walked through the streets cherishing the being not yet the size of a pencil tip.  And now I rub my belly and wonder what it is that is growing so rapidly inside me and that is so insistent on kicking me at the most inopportune times.  For instance, he has taken to using my bladder as a trampoline on car rides.  Last night, as I was laying to go to sleep, I swear she did a full somersault with a few strong jabs in my ribs.  

Don’t get me wrong- I don’t mind these little games one iota.  I embrace these movements and take comfort knowing that Baby is alive and well.

The big event of the week has been diapers.  Exciting, I know.  Originally, I was turned off at the prospect of cloth diapers.  Disposable just seemed way more convenient.  However, over the past week I have been doing some research and talking with Moms and, frankly, cloth diapers these days seem much more user-friendly than they were 30 years ago.  No diaper pins needed.  Although the option of a diaper service for us is definitely out of the question, doing laundry every other day will be a reality as it is.  I got the hubby involved and I think we are now going to try it out and see what happens.  For long trips and camping outings, I have a feeling we will default to disposable.  But, I think we could do a lot for the environment by using cloth on a day to day basis.  And wouldn’t you rather have organic cotton on your bum than plastic?!

I am in “nesting” mode.  Both a good and bad thing.  Good:  I want to set up the nursery, clean house and start stocking up on food in my deep freeze.  Bad:  my 28-week body doesn’t want to let me.  That and my shower isn’t for another month.  I can’t tell you how tempting it is to go out and start buying all my sheets and such so that I can be super prepared!  But I resist the temptation and find other means to fill my time, i.e. doing our Italy scrapbook and working on our yearly photo book for 2010.  I even started thinking about Christmas presents…..if that’s not nesting I don’t know what is.  My mom and I did wash all the hand-me-down baby clothes and put them away in the dresser which was fun.

The past week or so I have noticed a significant shift in my body.  I find it is telling me to SLOW DOWN.  Let’s be honest: I am NOT good at this.  But, my morning walk has slowed and I force myself to stop every few hours and sit for at least 15-20 minutes with my feet up.  Irritating at first, I have come to relish these mini-breaks during my day as a time to connect with Baby.  

Fun Baby Fact:  Fat begins to accumulate under the skin, toenails and fingernails appear, and downy hair sprouts on the body and scalp.  Baby weighs in just over 2 lbs 6 oz.  Baby is about 16 inches long and at birth will be somewhere between 19 and 21 inches long…

Fun Pregnancy Fact: My uterus is the size of a basketball.  The upper half of my belly button is peaking out now.  No exciting “pop”, but more of a creeping.


Givin' some love to my puppy dog...our little seal

No comments:

Post a Comment